Ir al contenido principal

The Pain Tree


1. Who is your favorite character from the story and what kind of background do they come from? Why? (Use examples from Michelle Cliff's essay, If I Could Write This in Fire, I Would Write This in Fire)

My favorite character is Lorraine, because she represent a strong woman, and I like see wonderful women in different stories. Because, I love the form like Esther Pearl represent the relationship of Lorraine and Larissa. This relationship represent the opression lived persons for being themselves on Jamaica, and this story can be see around the world.


2. Why do you think Lorraine’s mother mocks the workers that want independence from England?

I think Lorraine´s mother lived in a privilege social class and she never wanted support to strikes for Jamaican independence. This position can be see in our country, because the conservadurism people like to conserve the order.

3. What is a “pain tree” and how does it play a role in the story?

The pain tree is a form to represent the pain that she live in all life, she suffer a lot for be herself. And the tree is a metaphore for the class division in Jamaica, same division that separated Lorraine and Larissa.

4. What is the meaning of the line “people like me would always inherit the land, but they were the ones who already possessed the Earth”?

This sentence represent the reality to Jamaica, because on this country we would see a different views like the racism, the social class, the gender and a lot discriminations too. This discriminations not permit that all the people have the same values and same opportunities, and that is the principal change for that we would fight.

Comentarios

  1. I also really like how the author portrayed the relationship between Larissa and Lorraine <3

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

English language challenge

   My experience learning english at university divide in two parts: the last semester and this semester. In the last semester I had English class with other teacher, Jordan. And the experience was very bad, I don´t learn almost anything, because he don´t interest  about our learning. But, in this class I had many friends and we had a good time. In this semester, I take this class with my friend Andrés, but he can´t go anymore and this situation is very sad for me, because the English days are our days. But, I learn a lot of words and have a good time too because for me is difficult learn English ( I have a trauma in my childhood) and the opportunity to learn is very amazing. In the aspects of my English need to be improve are all haha, I think my weakness is the verbal tenses, because I don´t know the past participle and all this things, and my way of speaking are poor because I rustle up for try to hide my shortage words. Outside the English class I use the english in many o

Rockers Film Review

1. How does Leroy "Horsemouth" Wallace from  Rockers  compare to Ivan Martin fro m The Harder They Come ? Ivan Martin is a represent the music industry and he shows the bad part of the fame and power. Furthermore, Horsemouth is a hero because he gives money for poor people. I think they represent a two parts of the same coin, the jamaican culture sight from two different points of view.  The first point, shows a Ivan Martin like a man that transform for the money, because when he was poor, he was a different person, he come from to the farm and the city and their lights and bad habits, change his mind in the bad way. The second point, evidence a man, Horsemouth, with a strong courage for follow his values, because he steal money from rich people for gives a poor people. 2. What is your favorite scene from the film? Why? My favorite scene is when Horsemouth steal the company, because is the most funny part of the movie. It´s a point of break, a different thing in